Braces vs Invisalign – which is better?
Here is the question answered, Braces vs Invisalign. If you or your child needs braces, you probably have a lot of questions when it comes to using braces versus using Invisalign (Invisalign vs Braces) as your orthodontic treatment. There are various differences when it comes to effectiveness and cost, but we understand that you will want to choose the orthodontic treatment that will best suit your needs, even if it’s more expensive.
Facts of Braces and Invisalign
Invisalign came to the market in 2000 designed to do the same as braces, which was to straighten teeth while improving your oral health and your smile. The main difference between them is the visibility of the treatment, as braces are metal brackets that are glued to your teeth and connected by tiny rubber bands and wires. So which is it for you, Braces vs Invisalign, read more and you’ll get all the answers.
While the traditional option is metal, there are other options available, such as clear or tooth-colored ceramics. On the other hand, Invisalign was designed to be nearly invisible. The aligner trays you wear over your teeth are made out of comfortable and smooth BPA-free plastic. In order to create the trays, we use pictures, impressions, and X-rays, thereby creating a precise 3D image of your teeth to configure your aligner trays properly.
Which Will Work Best For You – Braces vs Invisalign?
Both Invisalign and braces will straighten your teeth, and there are some of the things you need to take into consideration:
● Time of treatment: Braces are irremovable, and they will be worn 24/7 for around two years, depending on the needs of the patient. Invisalign braces can be removed, and for them to work their best, they need to be worn around 22 hours a day for six to eighteen months, depending on the patient’s needs.
● Maintenance: Braces will need to be brushed regularly with the help of a water pick, while you will need to use an Invisalign cleaning system to clean and rinse your trays.
● Follow-up visits: With braces, you will need visits around once a month. With Invisalign, your aligner trays will need to be changed every two weeks, with visits to the orthodontist around every six weeks.
Pros and Cons of Braces
● Braces can be more useful for more intricate issues
● They can’t be removed, so there is no temptation to remove them and not wear them on certain days or occasions
● Only regular brushing and cleaning is required, no extra cleaning steps are needed
● Some soreness, pain or discomfort can be experienced from teeth moving, brackets or wires
● Some tooth discoloration is possible
● You may experience some difficulties when eating hard or sticky foods
Pros and Cons of Invisalign
● Invisible, so they do not change your appearance
● There is no issue with food getting caught between your braces, so there is no difficulty with any food types
● Patients don’t experience any discomfort from brackets or wires
● There can be some discomfort when the teeth move
● They need to be removed before drinking or eating anything but water
● The teeth must be brushed after each meal to prevent stains
Comparing Braces vs. Invisalign is a tight race, and the choice will ultimately have to be based on you or your child’s individual needs and desires. If the patient will be self-conscious with the visibility of braces, the Invisalign may be the best option, coupled with the fact that you can remove it, so eating, drinking, brushing and flossing is more convenient and feels more natural.
You need to be aware that Invisalign is not an option for everyone, but if you are interested in this orthodontic treatment, we’ll be happy to sit down with you, discuss your options and recommend the best course of treatment. Fell free to give us a call Today we’d like to chat with you about the braces vs invisalign treatment. We hope this Blog “Braces vs Invisalign” gave you some insight, if you have any further questions please feel free to call Dr. Cochran’s office today